My favorite subject in college had nothing to do with my communications major.
I took Astronomy 101 and 102 to avoid the chemistry sequence that my BS degree required. I will always be grateful to the University of Kentucky for this ‘broadening of my horizons,’ because it introduced me to Professor Thomas Troland.
Dr. Troland was one of the best teachers I have ever had. His sense of humor made his classes zip by, and made me a true fan of astronomy, a subject I had little knowledge of prior to college.
If you are interested in the upcoming total eclipse of the sun, I encourage you to give a look-see to this UK news story featuring Dr. Troland, who I am proud to say is a good friend to this day.
Posted in Astrology, College, Education, Humor
Tagged astronomy, college, Dr. Thomas Troland, Eclipse, education, friendship, physics and astronmy, science, teaching, total eclipse of the sun, University of Kentucky
I had a hilarious astronomy professor in college who sometimes used questionable photography in his lectures to make sure we were awake.
I saw one of his more fabled pics Friday on a greeting card in a Detroit airport gift shop:
I wish I could remember what point my teacher was making in class when he used it…
My mind is drawing a blank.
Posted in Advertising, College, Education, Humor, Photography
Tagged astronomy, college, education, greeting card, Humor, innuendo, photography, pics, professor, rocket
The 2015 NCAA Final Four doesn’t start for three hours, but TBS’s coverage has already begun.
That’s right — they’re going to spend the next three hours talking about the two games yet to come.
And I’m cool with that.
It’s a bit like the red carpet that precedes all the major awards shows.
But based on what I’ve seen so far, this show won’t be as pretty. I mean…
Dennis Miller is the host.
Posted in Basketball, College, Commentary, Humor, March Madness, Television
Tagged basketball, college, commentary, coverage, Dennis Miller, Final Four, host, Humor, March Madness, NCAA, red carpet, Television, who are you wearing
I had seen images online of the April 6th issue of Sports Illustrated, so I couldn’t wait to get mine in the mail.
Just look at that angle of Karl-Anthony Towns in action:
But then I got my issue today. And it looked like this:
Because apparently there are no college basketball fans in the Northeast.
I mean, how could there be? No teams from this area made the Final Four. And there couldn’t possibly be fans of Kentucky, Wisconsin, Michigan State or Duke outside their state lines, right?
(Well, probably not Duke.)
Don’t worry. I’ve already contacted SI and requested a copy of the Kentucky cover issue. And written a letter to the editor.
March Madness only comes once a year.
Posted in Basketball, College, Commentary, Humor, Magazines, March Madness, Sports
Tagged #BBN #TimeforNine, aerial shot, basketball, basketball fans, college, college basketball, cover issue, Duke, Final Four, Karl Anthony Towns, Kentucky, letter to the editor, magazine editor, magazines, March Madness, Michigan State, Music, NCAA, NCAA tournament, Northeast, regionalisms, Sports, sports fans, Sports Illustrated, state lines, Wisconsin
During the exquisite, emotional roller coaster that is March Madness, I often wonder —
What if real life was conducted like the NCAA basketball tournament?
* You hold a press conference at the end of each business day to discuss your successes and failures with members of the media.
Can you imagine the questions you would receive about your workday?
- You were 15 minutes late. Was it really traffic?
- You ate lunch at your desk. Do you think getting some exercise would have been a better idea?
- You seemed to lose focus during your afternoon teleconference. Any particular reason why?
* You have your car custom-painted for business trips, or for the start of a new project, much like the Kentucky Wildcats’ new custom paint job on their bus for the trip to the Final Four in Indianapolis.
* And a huge, adoring crowd of cheering fans would greet you each night upon your return home.
It would definitely have its perks.
Posted in Basketball, College, custom paint job, emotional roller coaster, fans, Final Four, Humor, Indianapolis, Kentucky Wildcats, March Madness, media, NCAA tournament, perks, press conference, Sports
Tagged basketball, college, Humor, March Madness, Sports
Thank you for the greatest gift EVER!
- Having a panic attack mid-afternoon when you fear you may have missed one of the Sweet 16 games.
- Breathing a huge sigh of relief when you realize they don’t begin until after 7pm ET. Geez.
- Keeping your birthday open because you don’t know the game schedule yet.
- Wishing the games would just get here…and wanting them to last forever, all at the same time.
- Being grateful every day that you are an alum of the University of Kentucky!
GO BIG BLUE! #BBN #TIMEFORNINE
Posted in Basketball, College, Humor, March Madness, NCAA, Sports
Tagged #TimeforNine, alumni, basketball, basketball game, BBN, birthday, college, game schedule, go big blue, Humor, last forever, March Madness, NCAA tournament, panic attack, Sports, Sweet 16, UK Wildcats, University of Kentucky