The storied ‘L’ train in Chicago sure has a lot of don’ts.
Don’t solicit. (Expected.)
Don’t eat. Surprising…but DC prohibits food on their subway, too. I know someone who got a ticket while visiting.
Don’t gamble. WHAT?? Now we have seriously crossed a line.
Gotta have my shell game.
Posted in Humor, Life, subway, trains, transportation, Travel
Tagged chicago. L train, eat, food, gamble, Humor, life, rules, shell game, solicit, transportation, Travel
The subway ride home from work was really crowded today. So I was forced to stand, my arm stretched to hold the upper rail.
The gentleman sitting on the bench directly in front of me dozed off. His head began to dip lower and lower. Eventually the top of his head hit me in the stomach.
He jumped. I I jumped. But he didn’t wake up completely, so pretty soon his head fell back down and hit me in the stomach. This continued for another two subway stops.
Then I moved my purse so it hung in front of my stomach. The next time his head dipped, it encountered cold, black leather.
That seemed to do the trick. He woke up, stood up and got off the train at the next stop.
Heads up, buddy.
Posted in Business, Humor, Life, subway, trains, transportation
Tagged Business, crowds, head nodding, heads up, Humor, leather, life, MYA, NYC, purse, sleeping, subway, subway stop
First-time visitors to New York City may be hesitant to take the subway.
I was you once; I spent too much money on taxis and wore myself out walking dozens upon dozens of city blocks.
But trust me —
The subway is the best way to get around town.
Here are 5 reasons to give the MTA a chance the next time you are in town.
- Speed — The subway is usually the fastest way between Point A and Point B. There’s no traffic to contend with, and you have express train options when you have longer trips or are traveling from borough to borough.
- Cost — Currently $2.75 a ride, the subway is cheaper than any taxi ride. And while walking is free, you have to think about the cost of your time, and the wear-and-tear on your body. Most of my friends leave NYC broken-down and exhausted from the unaccustomed amount of walking they do…and it was supposed to be vacation.
- Comfort — Except at morning and evening rush, the subway has room to breathe and seats for most travelers. I have claustrophobia, and I use the subway without any problem.
- People Watching — Everyone takes the subway in New York City, from celebrities to crazies on the street…so you will see everything. It is a slice of humanity like no other. You’ll return home with story upon story.
- Performances — Like this one:
I mean, come on — take a chance and take a ride!
Posted in Commentary, dance, Humor, New York City, subway, tourism, transportation, Travel, Vacation, Walking
Tagged celebrities, city blocks, commentary, crazies, dance, exhaustion, Humor, MTA, New York City, New York City boroughs, performances, rush hour, slice of humanity, subway, taxis, time, tourism, traffic, transportation, Travel, vacation, visitors, walking, wear-and-tear